Wanted to send this for two events the food in colour event hosted by sunshinemom and also the SWC Karnataka event hosted by me.... but could not get time to do so... but still Rasam is one of my favourites...... and this is my way of preparing... fast and easy....
2tbsp pigeon peas (toor dal)
1tsp grated ginger
1 red chilli
2 tbsp tamarind concentrate
2tsp rasam powder
1 tsp coriander for garnish
salt as per taste
1tsp cumin seeds
1tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp asafoetida
4-5 curry leaves
1. Cook toor dal in the pressure cooker with rice.
2. Heat oil in a vessel and add the chilli, asafoetida and cumin seeds. When the cumin changes colour grated ginger & curry leaves.
3. Saute for a minute and then add rasam powder and if desired a little red chilli powder. Add the cooked dal and lot of water.
4. The consistency of rasam is watery. Then add the tamarind concentrate and salt.
5. Mix well and boil it nicely for atleast 10-15 minutes. Cover and keep for sometime.
6. Serve hot with plain steaming rice......