Saturday, February 20, 2010
Monday, February 15, 2010
For the Usal
1 tsp oil
1/2 cup sprouted matki
1/2 cup moong (saoked in water for atleast 8-10 hours)
1/2 tsp turmeric
pinch of asafoetida
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp goda masala
little jaggery (1/2 tsp)
Salt to taste
For the Gravy (called as Tarri)
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
1 onion finely chopped
1 tomato finely chopped
2 1/2 tbsp grated dry coconut
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp Turmeric
1 tsp oil
salt to taste
Farsan, Shev, Finely chopped onion, finely chopped tomato, A wedge of lemon
1. Put oil in a pan then add the mustard seeds, when they crackle add cumin seeds, turmeric and asafoetida, matki and moong and red chilli powder.
2. Then add salt, goda masala, jaggery and mix it all together. Keep aside.
1. Fry the onion in oil till brown, then add coconut, ginger and garlic pastes and tomato.
2. Cool it and then grind everything in mixer.
3. Put some oil in a pan and put turmeric, red chilli powder in it and add the onion gravy to it. (if chilli powder is put in oil directly it will bring nice red colour to the gravy)
4. Now add garam masala, salt and fry for another minute.
5. Add water and boil the gravy.
In another vessel make kanda pohe and keep.
Put the Usal in a dish, spread little pohe on it then top with farsan and then with the tarri....
Or the gravy can be served separately in a bowl, keep a wedge of lemon and pav.
Wednesday, February 10, 2010
My first entry to Priyanka's Holi event on Asankhana
So here go the ingredients for 1 plate mouth watering dahi puri
Dahi (yogurt) 1 cup
6 puri (you can get ready made puris of pani puris)
1/2 onion finely chopped
1/2 tomato finely chopped
1 tbsp of coriander finely chopped
1/2 tsp chaat masala
1/2 potato boiled
1 tsp green chutney
1 tbsp dates and tamarind chutney
1 tbsp shev
For making the green chutney
Take 1 green chilli, 2 tbsp of coriander, 2-3 leaves of mint and salt. Grind them together.
For dates and tamarind chutney
Soak 2-3 dates in water for 1 hour. Then in the mixer put the dates without seed, add tamarind pulp 1tsp, 1/2tsp jaggery, 1/2tsp salt and grind together.
1. Add chaat masala and salt to dahi and mix it together. Refrigerate till serving time.
2. Make small holes in the puris and add the roughly smashed potato, then top it up with onion, tomato, green chutney, dates and tamarind chutney, chilled dahi, coriander and shev. Serve.
Tuesday, February 2, 2010
Monday, February 1, 2010