This is one of my favorite sweet made only for the special festival of Nagpanchami. Yes today is Nagpanchami the festival of Snake God. In Karnataka this festival has a lot of importance. I still remember my mom used to stich or buy new clothes for me, put mehndi and dad used put the swing to our door... ha it was a wonderful time.... different snacks like chakli, chiwda and most important tambit undi used to be prepared for this festival... so today I prepared it and also put henna to my daughter and baought a new dress... so the tradition continues.... and here is the recipe for wonderful tambit undi for the SWC-Karnataka event hosted me :), Sweet series event of TOI hosted by Mythreyee.
4 cups powdered toasted gram nuts (Roasted and split chickpeas, Phutane (marathi), hurkadli (kannada)
3 cups jaggery grated
1tsp poppy seeds (khus khus)
10-12 cashewnuts cut into pieces
10-12 almonds cut into pieces
10-12 pistachios cut into pieces
2tsp green cardamom powder
2tbsp grated dry coconut
1. Make a powder of the roasted gram nuts in a mixer.
2. Melt the ghee in a thick bottomed kadhai and add the jaggery to it. Melt the jaggery into it. Do not let it boil, just melt it.
3. Remove from gas and add the poppy seeds and dry grated coconut.
4. Then add cardamom powder, cashew nut, raisins, almonds, pistachios and mix.
5. Lastly start adding the roasted chickpea powder little by little. Add powder mix, again add mix.
6. Keep adding the powder till the jaggery mixture absorbs it upto a consistency of making ladoos.
7. Start making ladoos from this mixture in a cylinder shape. This is the speciality of this ladoo, its not round but a cylinder. Be careful the mixture is a bit hot. But dont wait for the mixture to cool or it will not be possible to bind the ladoos.
8. In case while making the ladoos the mixture turns dry and its not possible to bind, just heat a little ghee and add to it.